I created this tart for my kids, who love having s’mores on the fire pit. It’s truly indulgent. We simply can’t get enough of the billowy marshmallow topping. —Dina Crowell, Fredericksburg, Virginia
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small bowl, mix cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate and butter in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate and butter; let stand 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared tart shell. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating on low until a thermometer reads 160°, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form and mixture is slightly cooled, about 5 minutes.
- Spread meringue over tart. If desired, heat meringue with a kitchen torch or broil 2 in. from heat 30-45 seconds or until meringue is lightly browned. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate S’mores Tart in Taste of Home February/March 2016, p79
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate S’mores Tart
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC