- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and egg yolk. In another bowl, mix oats, flours, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls; flatten to 3/4-in. thickness. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. To reheat, microwave each cookie on high for 15-20 seconds or just until warmed.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked cookies in a freezer container, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, place dough portions 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed, increasing time by 1-2 minutes. Yield: 16 cookies.
Originally published as Chunky Breakfast Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016