- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or hickory nuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a bowl, stir flour, butter, cheese and salt until crumbly. Sprinkle with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until pastry holds together.
- Form into a ball. Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9-in. pie pan; trim and flute edges.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, egg and sugar until smooth. Stir in apples; pour into crust. In another bowl, mix flour, sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly (cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary). Serve warm or chilled with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Dairy State Apple Pie in Country August/September 1994, p49
Reviews for Dairy State Apple Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC