My version of sloppy joes comes from an old family recipe. Make these sandwiches even more German by stacking everything on a pretzel bun. —Jason Koren, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium green and/or sweet yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 pretzel or regular hamburger buns, split
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add sauerkraut, peppers and onion; cook and stir 8-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms; place cheese over meat. Replace tops. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sloppy Ottos in Taste of Home February/March 2016, p19
Reviews for Sloppy Ottos
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC