Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice
My daughter is eating healthy. (Good for her!) Every weekend she preps her school lunches, making a big batch of grilled chicken breasts with southwestern spice rub, steamed broccoli, and brown rice. Now, that seems a little boring to me, and I know she loves coconut white rice, so I adapted the recipe to give her some rice variety. Here it is: Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice.
And, geez – listen to me. “Adapted my recipe.” This is hardly a recipe; it’s barely a technique. Stir 2 cups rice, 2.5 cups liquid (a mix of water and coconut milk), and a little salt in an Instant Pot. Lock the lid, pressure cook for 20 minutes, and the brown rice is ready to go.
If it’s not for school lunches, I’ll fancy it up a bit with toasted coconut flakes and minced cilantro. It works with grilled chicken breasts (of course), but it’s also the ideal side dish with a pressure cooked Thai curry.
Recipe: Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice
Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice. Jasmine rice, coconut milk, and pressure cooking make this healthy, slightly sweet side dish, perfect for Thai curries.
- 2 cups brown Jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Everything in the pot: Pour the rice, water, coconut milk, and salt into the pressure cooker pot. Give it a quick stir, breaking up the coconut cream from the can.
- Pressure cook the rice for 20 minutes with a quick pressure release: Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes in an electric PC (“manual” or “pressure cook” mode in an Instant Pot), or for 16 minutes in a stovetop PC. Quick release the pressure.
- Serve: Stir the rice a bit to spread out the coconut cream that floated to the top of the pot. Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with the garnishes if you’re using them, and enjoy.
- Make sure to get unsweetened coconut milk. “Cream of coconut” or other sweetened coconut milks are great for piña coladas…not so much for coconut rice.
- Can’t find brown Jasmine rice? Any long grain brown rice will do.
- Toasting shredded coconut: Turn the instant pot to Sauté mode adjusted to low heat. (Medium-low heat in a stovetop cooker). Pour a thin layer of unsweetened shredded coconut (aka coconut flakes) into the pot and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned. And…please pay attention. Coconut flakes go from browned to burnt in a heartbeat.
Keywords: Instant Pot Coconut Brown Rice; Pressure Cooker Coconut Brown Rice
What do you think?
Questions? Other ideas? Leave them in the comments section below.
Enjoyed this post? Want to help out DadCooksDinner? Subscribe to DadCooksDinner via email and share this post with your friends. Want to contribute directly? Donate to my Tip Jar, or buy something from Amazon.com through the links on this site. Thank you.